Saturday, March 29, 2008

Herbie

Herbie, who I met working on my neighborhood project, is a homeless man who spends much of the day on the corner across the street from my apartment. I've been tagging around with him for a while, making pictures and getting to know these familiar streets from a whole new perspective. The experiences range from tenderness to brutality, and I hope the images reflect this variety.

An old friend of his from Pittsburgh, who new him before he was homeless, lives in the neighborhood also. The experiences I've had talking to her and photographing him have made me ponder, once again, how close many of us are to living on the streets. Any combination of a missed paycheck, family crisis, or worsening addiction could wreak enough havoc in our lives...















1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.